- Total: 45 mins
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
See Full Nutritional Guidelines
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
This nicely seasoned potato salad is made with the addition of bacon and chopped dill pickle.
The mayonnaise dressing is flavoured with a few tablespoons of red wine vinegar and some chopped dill pickle. Low starch red-skinned potatoes or fingerling are recommended because they hold their shape particularly well.
- 2 pounds potatoes (red-skinned)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 dill pickle (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Steps to Make It
- Peel (or leave unpeeled, if desired) and cube the potatoes. Put them in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain completely and let the potatoes cool completely with the cover ajar.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. When the bacon has cooled, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cooled potatoes with the onion, celery, pickle, and parsley.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise with the vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the dressing to the potato mixture and toss gently. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Cover the bowl and chill until serving time.
Add chopped hard-boiled eggs to the potato mixture, or garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs.
By Diana Rattray